Saturday, September 01, 2007

Mmmmm... Eda-Mommy





This week, in addition to organic eating, we've done the no sugar, no wheat deal. The verdict is still in on its affects on toddlers, but lets just say I'm keeping a food log longer than a line around Barnes N' Noble for JK Rowlings highly anticipated Harry Potter 14 - Gryffindor and the Penis of Fire: Hogwart's gotten boring, Harry's gone whoring.

As a mom, I take solace that I'm doing everything in my power to keep my kids healthy and find out what makes them tic - literally. It's a slow process of wait and see, but hopefully we'll get some results.

It goes without saying that our processed, food dyed, hurry hurry hurry supersized go Go GOOOO! environment can't be good for the human condition - especially for the growing bodies of children. But when you add a sensitive rug rat like Stink into the mix, the point is driven home even harder.

Slow.

Down.

So we are.

Today was about the yard sale. Rex put up the tent last night and got me buzzed on bad two buck Chuck, making my 5am wake-up oooooh so pleasant. I survived though. For most of the morning I kicked it in an old fold up chair and cleaned out my garage. When even Ebayer Mama P can't handle storing the vintage Strawberry Shortcake wrist watches any longer, it's time to clean house. But the Justin Timberlake "In Sync in Japan" fro tee? That's staying. Either it's being sold on Ebay for 12.99 or I'll save it for Mrs. V's son for 4th Grade's "Free Dress Day." I know he'll appreciate it.

I don't know about you peeps, but today it was a sweltering 110 degrees. Lucky for the kids they spent most of the day in their underwear inside the house. Lucky for the flies, the kids still managed to leave the doors open for them. I'm currently typing and screaming "Die winged bug of evil, DIE!"

Tonight after stories I sang my "Song of Music" medley. I figure if Stink isn't going to be athletic (and who really knows at this point) he'll never get his ass kicked if he can hit that high note in "Climb Every Mountain" or tell some punk ass kid that white flowers are really "Adel Veis".

When the song was over, he looked at me with doe eyes and asked, "Mama, why did the kids’ mom die?"

Me: "She was sick." (Then, sensing his distress) "But don't worry. I'm healthy as a horse."

Stink: (Smiling) "And I'm healthy as a unicorn!"

Later, after yelling at both kids to settle down for the night (for the tenth time) I tried my guilt tactic, "Wow, with all this running around you're doing while I'm downstairs, you must think I'm stupid." Stink responded, "Oh, no, Mommy. You are so very loveable."

At that, my heart melted. I gave him a huge kiss and a hug. I thanked him for eating edamame for breakfast. For smiling over gluten free waffles with squeezed watermelon juice for syrup. For not batting an eye at blueberry bars with filling rivaling Preparation H.

Then I told him to get his ass to sleep.

* Photo: Breakfast at the Mama P household. They say the early bird gets the worm. In our case, the early bird gets the runs. Mmmmm, healthy goodness!

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Your picture is why we furiously looked to see if Trader Joes was a publically traded company. Alas, it is not. If Trader Joes can't make you buy gluten free this and hormone free that, no one can.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Wow

This brings back allot of childhood memories. Growing up my brother was hyperactive and was on a diet very similar to (if not exactly like) this one.

BW

LIG

Unknown said...

I might make big on the Timberlake fro shirt, if'n you post it....Would look SMASHING on Baldo, no?

Rock the house, Mama P!

Heather said...

Mama P - I don't know if this is already known by you, but our OT just gave us an article with even more than the gluten/milk info. I blogged about it today. Let me know if you are interested in the article.

dmmgmfm said...

Wow, you are amazing. I can follow that diet, in fact I did for several years while I was being treated for candida albicans, but I don't think I'd ever have gotten my son to stay on it.

You go girl!