Saturday, June 16, 2007

Live Joyously




A friend of mine wrote a speech recently that I had the honor of editing. A theme that ran through it was forgiveness. How "Love is a Verb." And perhaps the most poignant, but hardest to follow, she reminds us to "Live Joyously."

I fall victim to my demons like everyone else does, but then I read someone else's take on their flaws, and I'm immediately inspired to keep going.

Like this morning. I was feeling crappy to say the least. Just tired. But even with my unbrushed teeth and looking about as unkempt as Cameron Diaz on Oscar night (no offense, you Diaz fans out there... but can she at least brush her hair?)... Pipsqueak still had the good graces to laugh at me hysterically.

I am saddened these days by a close family member who is on her way to the other side. She is a woman who never forgot to send me a birthday card. Or send me a doll when she knew I was having a girl. Or send me money when she herself was living in a tiny apartment. She was an advocate for the less fortunate always, from children to cats to monkeys - she even had some primates living in her home. Toward the end of her life her health was at an all time low, but she never ceased to live joyously. Aunt Joan, I don't know how much longer your body will be here, but your spirit will live with me as long as I am alive.

Everyone else, I hope this weekend you strive to live, you guessed it, joyously. Let me know how it goes.

7 comments:

Liv said...

Right back at you. Seize the joy. Thankfully we have our babies to keep us smiling. Sometimes the pharmaceuticals aren't enough.

meno said...

That is really nice mamap. I will remember to live joyously, in honor of your friend.

Liza on Maui said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Joan - but you're right - her spirit can and will live, as long as people wjo loves her remembers...

Cute photos by the way :)

Ashley Lasbury said...

Yes, sometimes I think Living Joyously is the hardest work of all....but the pay off is huge.

Thank you again, my dear, for your excellent wordsmithing. I want to write like you when I grow up.

Pam said...

Good words to live by, I have always tried.

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt, it's difficult to say goodby but you are right, she will always be with you.

Your daughter's smile is a very bright light!

Lynnea said...

I thought about your post here over the weekend. I had a splendid weekend - it was so relaxing and fun. Thanks.

Gretchen said...

Great post. Blessings on your aunt and on you.