Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Whatever Wednesday


I have rewritten that 1990's Winger song to "She's My Tamale Pie" because oooooh, laudy, dinner was good tonite.
A bit time intensive - but this was so easy. Stink had four helpings.

No joke. People with toddlers, you know this isn't easy.

Recipe below. Thank you, K!

Random notes:

Did any of you catch the rabbi from "Shalom in the Home" on Oprah today?



He was talking about how America's families are falling apart because we give our kids things instead of our time. We value success over the whole person. We value looks over integrity. He spoke of the dangerous consequences of filling our kids' lives with "everything" rather than setting limits: love and boundaries.

I couldn't agree with this more. And while I'm soooooo far from a perfect parent, when I see my own children randomly tell me they love me, or offer up an empathetic opinion, or save the last piece of their cookie for their father in "a safe place" (which unfortunately is the window sill during ant season) I inwardly smile.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again... perhaps the one thing I do the most right is during the times that feel the most wrong, I'm not afraid to ask for help. Often times this is just a phone call. Or a "can you meet for coffee?"

I don't know why more people don't do this. Life isn't about perfection. It's about doing the best we can with what we got. We're not islands. We all have strengths and weaknesses, so why not lean on someone else sometimes and give back when you're feeling better? Why are we women so afraid of looking bad to others? What's wrong with having a shitty hair day once in a while?

I really do believe that, like the rabbi said, happiness is a choice. It does not come from a partner. It comes from us being our best partner. It comes from a postive attitude - striving for the best but accepting the reality.

It comes from being flexible - and getting what you want despite your financial position.

I say trade off your kids with another mom if you're tired. As long as she's safe, who gives a hoot whether your child watches 2 hours more of tv that day. They'll thank you for dislodging your head out of their ass for a short time and live.

Let the laundry go one day. Forgive your husband for not being Prince Charming but instead a Star Trek Warrior who can fix any computer, never run out of batteries and give the best "toe hangings" in the galaxy to the two cutest aliens on the planet. Teach your daughter that wearing a princess costume is great, but she'd better wear some combat boots under the fluff and have a brain under her crown, because Prince Charming probably is only thinking with one magic wand. (And then, if she does end up with Prince Charming, if she's had a confident mommy, she can learn to forgive him for not being perfect. She'll let the castle get messy sometimes so she can put on the combat boots to go splashing in mud puddles and... you get the idea.)

I love all for putting up with me. Rant done.

Shalom everyone! Or should I say, Adios. Here's the tamale pie recipe. May you eat happily ever after....

Tamale Pie

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
Filling:
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups (16 oz.) ORTEGA Enchilada Sauce
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 teaspoon salt
Crust:
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (4 oz.) ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream for the top
salsa for the top(or tomoatoes)



DirectionsFOR FILLING:COOK beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and salt. FOR CRUST:PREHEAT oven to 425° F. Grease a 12 x 8-inch baking dish. COMBINE corn meal, water, evaporated milk and salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups corn meal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread remaining corn meal mixture on bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.BAKE for 10 minutes. Cool in dish on wire rack. Spoon beef filling into corn meal crust. Spread reserved corn meal mixture over beef filling.BAKE for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with jalapeƱos, if desired.

11 comments:

Pam said...

AMEN! Perfectly said, and from your lips to the world.

Andrea Frazer said...

Pam - I am glad you agree with me. I try not to apologize, but after hitting send, I worried I'd be a bit on my soapbox. But to hell with it. It's who I am and if someone agrees, great. If not, they don't have to keep reading, right?

Bridethatwas - New house? What? Yes, we need to get cracking on our book. And I have another expensive pie in the sky idea for you. Later this week or next we'll chat?

meno said...

I like the rant! It's all true. And i'll have to try tha tamale pie.

Princess in Galoshes said...

That tamale pie sounds really good. The Funasaurus might even *gasp!* like it.

I will let you know. :-)

Roberta said...

Gracias para la oferta a ayudar con my espanol. Mi espanol es muy basico tambien. Necesito a estudiar mucho. Gracias otra vez.

Lynnea said...

mmm, tamales.

In this year of fun, I am allowing myself to relax about the movie watching. Because sometimes, mama needs a little time to think. And as for Prince Charming, well you're right. A husband can be the most princely of men, but he's still gonna fall short of perfection. Thank god though, how would we live with someone that we couldn't measure up to? I mean, I'm no princess...

Roberta said...

Just wanted to let you know that your bathroom remodeling success has inspired me. I'm planning on redoing our downstairs bathroom, pretty much moving everything around and putting in new tiling. This will be my first DIY project and I'm nervous and excited. I'll keep you updated.

Heather said...

I second Pam, which in essence, is what a thirding/fourthing to you??

Nevertheless, I agree. Asking for help is never a bad thing, unless of course those whom you are asking bash you over the head for it. Course if that's the case, time for a new "support" system, eh?

It takes a village to raise a child they say. It takes even more to support a grown person raising said child - why don't we realize that and value it???

And Good Laudy if that isn't the longest word verification I ever did see: vdwxwvp in all sorts of curly cues

Liza on Maui said...

I found you site through Lisa of Scenic Route to Joy and I instantly like it. I just added you to my "daily read" link - I hope you don't mind.

I agree with what you wrote about "family" and I'll try to cook a Tamales Pie. Thanks!

Liza

Anonymous said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!

Andrea Frazer said...

Meno, I think you'll like the tamale pie. The only thing I'd change is to make the crust a bit sweet - like those corn balls they serve at Mexican restaurants and are a zillion calories. (I can turn something healthy into something bad for you quicker than you can say "undale! undale!"

Princess, keep me posted. Your take on cooking would be hilarious.

Amisare - Me gusta hablar en espanol con todos mis amigos hispanicos. Al veces ellos chistan porque mi pronunciacion y grammar es horrible, pero me aman. Gracias a Dios para amigas, no?

Mommyham - how's school going?

Liza, glad you found me. I catch up on my reading toward the end of the week usually, when I can't query one more article, so I can't wait to see what ya got to say.

Jenny - Amen to you, too, sistah. I can tell we're two of a kind in this department.