Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Racing Toward the Green

In my ever sneaky pursuits to get my kids to eat their veggies, I've introduced the very popular "Who's Winning" game. It goes like this:

Me: Stink, your sister has eaten more veggies than you.

Stink: No, I have! I'm winning!

Me: Let's count.

Now comes the educational part of dinner where we are grateful to have washed our hands as we touch each and every pea on the plate. "One...two....three..."

When it's clear that indeed Pip is winning, Stink begins to shovel the veggies in, making Pip (who does everything her big brother do) follow in suit.

Whalaaaaa! All greens eaten.

While it's true that I have finally gotten my children to eat vegetables, I have also introduced the human classic: sibling rivalry.

The final upshot? I will have healthy kids who hate each other.

My job is done.

10 comments:

Erin said...

I have a variation on this used to get my kids moving (to bed, to the car, wherever) with similarly disastrous results. Worse probably, since the younger boys are never the fastest and always lose. "who can get into bed first? On your mark, get set..." I am dropping quarters into their therapy fund every day.

Roberta said...

Bravo. Good job!

Teri M. said...

(if this shows up twice, blame Blogger.)

Well, sibling rivalry was going to happen anyway. I think it was brilliant of you to use it to your advantage. ;)

meno said...

I used to give my kid ketchup for her veggies, since i only had one child and the cats were uninterested in sibling rivalry.

Mandy Klevenski said...

Too funny! Mom's just can't win all the time, eh?

Anonymous said...

That was funny. I have a teenager and all she has to do is roll her eyes or click her tongue and the younger ones catch on to my tricks. Brummer.

Hello fellow Tall Woman! Nice to meet you.

Teri M. said...

(totally unrelated comment testing- if I get the error message, I'll forward it to you!)

Andrea Frazer said...

testing Again

Andrea Frazer said...

sorry... testing testing testing... mother fxxxher???

Andrea Frazer said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it work! Thank you computer husband who is lord of all things techno and star trek! (and who makes a mean chili verde)