Sunday, February 19, 2006

Strippin

Last night we were driving home in the rain. Perhaps it was the dramatic turn in weather that put it in my head to switch from my country station to a top forty one, but I did. And lucky for my kids and I, we were treated to a heart wrenching performance of "I'm in love with a stripper..... she's a rockin' and rollin', slidin' down that pole-in..."

Wow. I can't wait for the elevator muzak version.

I eventually switched back to my regular tunes. Call me a square, but Martina McBride's Valentine is the version of love I want my kids to hear. So we sang. Loud and strong, with the water thump thumping our roof and hitting every red light on DeSoto:

"All of my life, I have been waiting for... all you give to me...
You've opened my mind, and shown me how to love unselfishly...
I've dreamed of this a thousand times before...
In my dreams I couldn't love you more...
I will give you my heart until the end of time...
You're all I need my love, my Valentine."

I explained to Stinker that this is the kind of love I hope he and his sister share with someone one day. Not the bling bling of getting naked in front of strangers, but the true affection of another human being. I told him that he needs to always be nice to Pipsqueak, so that his example helps her accept nothing less than class from a man.

He replied, "Okay Mommy! But first, I want to sell her for three tokens."

No comments: